Sun Protection Starts Now
You should be wearing sunscreen throughout the year. Yes, even during winter, the sun’s rays can potentially burn your skin. But, if you’ve forgotten all about applying sunscreen during the winter months, it’s time to catch up now. Apply an effective sunscreen thirty minutes before you head outdoors, and remember to re-apply it every three hours. Pack a bottle of sunscreen into your handbag, and into your child’s schoolbag too. They’re out on the playground, and taking part in sports after school, so their exposure to the sun’s rays is higher than you may realise.
Get Serious About Being SunSmart
CANSA tells us that South Africa has the second highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. We are pipped to that post by just one other country: Australia. That’s not a competition we want to be winning, nor competing in, and you can help us drop out of the standings by being more SunSmart this summer. CANSA has created a range of resources to help you and your family do just that – check them out here.
Our Top Tips for Staying SunSmart
Give skin the love it needs to stay safe and healthy during summer with our guidelines:
- Avoid direct exposure to the sun during the time-period where the sun is at its strongest. Between 10:00 and 15:00, stay indoors or in the shade.
- Get your shades on! Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. Make sure your sunglasses offer your sparkly eyes a UV protection rating of at least UV400.
- Sunscreen isn’t just for adults – babies and children need it too! Make sure your baby stays in the shade and is not exposed to the sun’s rays, at all times.
- UV protective swimsuits can offer an extra layer of protection during summer, but just because you’re wearing one, doesn’t mean you skip the sunscreen.
- Summer is the season for hats – wear one!
- If you’re worried about a mole or a spot on your skin, get it checked. Early detection is essential. The folks at CANSA can help you find a service provider.
LifeDoc Can Help
Now available for download as a mobile application, LifeDoc™ helps you take charge of your personal health information, making it easier to keep track of appointments and schedule those important check-ups, while securely storing your personal medical history. Register here or like the LifeDoc™ Facebook page for regular updates. You can also stay on track with LifeDoc™ developments on Twitter.