Here’s why you should add – at least a little – spinach to your weekly meal plans.
Types of Spinach
Your kids may think spinach is a ‘boring’ food, but the sheer variety of spinach there is to enjoy, is anything but boring. Technically, there are three different types of spinach, with each type having several variants. The types of spinach are:
- Savoy Spinach – deeply crinkled leaves. This is the type of spinach you’ll find sold in bunches at your favourite supermarket.
- Semi-Savoy Spinach – lightly crinkled leaves. This type of spinach is both sold fresh and used in manufacturing processed foods.
- Smooth-Leafed Spinach – smooth and flat leaves. Processed foods, like frozen creamed spinach, is manufactured using this type of spinach.
Benefits of Spinach
A low-calorie, highly nutritious addition to every meal, spinach is highly versatile and can be eaten raw or cooked (just make sure you rinse it first!). Spinach contains high levels of iron, Vitamins C, E, A, K, and more, and is a great source of potassium, magnesium, calcium, and zinc. It’s low in fat and cholesterol and eating a small bunch of it every day would do you a world of good.
Now that you know just how good spinach is for you, and your family, here are our top five spinach recipes:
- Spinach and tomato lasagne: http://www.food24.com/Recipes-and-Menus/Pasta-recipes/spinach-and-tomato-lasagne-20170904-2
- Curried potato and spinach quiche: http://www.food24.com/Recipes-and-Menus/Vegan/vegan-curried-potato-and-spinach-quiche-20180202
- Spinach and sweet potato salad: http://www.food24.com/Recipes-and-Menus/Easy-Weekday-Meals/spinach-and-sweet-potato-salad-20170317-4
- Cheese, spinach, and bacon, bread: http://www.food24.com/Recipes-and-Menus/Baking/cheese-spinach-and-bacon-bread-bake-20160824
- Spinach and blue cheese pizza: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spinach-blue-cheese-pizza
LifeDoc Can Help
Getting the right nutritional advice is important. Book a consultation with a nutritionist, or your doctor, to learn more about how a good diet can help you thrive. LifeDoc™ can help. Now available for download as a mobile application, LifeDoc™ helps you take charge of your personal health information, making it easier to keep track of appointments and schedule those important check-ups, while securely storing your personal medical history. Register here or like the LifeDoc™ Facebook page for regular updates. You can also stay on track with LifeDoc™ developments on Twitter.